I have the best fans in the world, Part Two:
Got this email from Iya Forges, president of the Nathaniel Cade Fan Club in the Philippines, this morning.
Here’s a story:
I went to my favorite bookstore (well all bookstores are my favorite! LoL) to buy a certain magazine I have been meaning to buy for a couple of days already. Then something just “whispered” to me to go and browse the book shelves. And lo and behold! It was there! Just waiting for me. Unfortunately, I
only brought enough money for the magazine. So I had to “beg” the customer service lady to hold on to my magazine and my surprise book for a while. I went running back to my aunt’s office to grab some cash and go run back to the store. This wouldn’t really be a problem, but streets here in Baguio are carved out of hills/mountains and the mall where I came from sits on top of a small hill. But the jog was all worth it. I know have a copy of the President’s Vampire! Cade has reached the Philippines!!!!
Lots of love and excitement to read the book AGAIN,
What can I say? I’m flattered and amazed. I wrote the damn thing and I don’t think I’d go to that much trouble.
Thanks so much, Iya. You rock.
Yes, yes, there’s much bigger news in the world than my book launch and the press I’ve been getting. But that’s just how self-absorbed I am. Feel free to move along if you don’t want any shilling today:
- THE PRESIDENT’S VAMPIRE is one of James’s Sci-Fi and Fantasy Picks at Barnes & Noble.
- The UK edition of the novel is mentioned in a roundup of summer thrillers at SHOTS, a crime and thriller ezine.
- Allen Appel gives Cade a shout-out in his rundown of current spy fiction at Publishers Weekly.
- Vampire Book Club was kind enough to interview me about Cade, Lizardmen, and the Greater Good.
- Had an absolutely great time at the L.A. Times Festival of Books. Wonderful panel moderated by Nick Owchar with Richard Kadrey and Michael Koryta. You should read those guys.
- Reviews, reviews, reviews. Starting with my buddy Jason Frost, who has a funny video review along with his slightly longer, more detailed text review. Bob Reiss has an excellent write-up of the book and its performance by the inimitable Bronson Pinchot in the audio version. Also, Lady Techie’s Book Musings. Also, Books4Ever. And many thanks to Brent Frankenhoff at CBGXtra.com for spreading the word about last week’s T-shirt giveaway.
Starting tonight at midnight (PDT), we here at Nathaniel Cade Central are going to be giving away T-shirts to anyone who buys the new novel THE PRESIDENT’S VAMPIRE and offers proof of purchase. E-mail me with the receipt, take a pic with your cell phone, post it on your FB page or blog or on the official FB author page — any of that will work. (Longer, more official rules are here.)
However: we are also offering four fabulous prize packages that include the T-shirt, both BLOOD OATH and THE PRESIDENT’S VAMPIRE, and a $25 gift card. Plus whatever random crap I have around the office that gets thrown in the box. (“Hey guys, look! A staple remover!”) The rules for these gift-packs are even simpler. Just retweet a mention THE PRESIDENT’S VAMPIRE on sale on April 28 (between midnight and midnight, PDT) and you’ll be eligible to be one of the random selected winners. MAKE SURE TO INCLUDE @chrisfarnsworth in the tweet, or I’ll never know you tried. Including a short link to one of the many fine retailers where you can purchase the book will certainly be appreciated. Or you can direct people to presidentsvampire.com, or the author page on Facebook.
Or not. It’s up to you.
But for everyone who’s already bought one of my strange books and spread it around to your friends, I want to say thanks. It’s already been a lot of fun. And now we have official T-shirts, which, of course, make everything better.
Hey there, vampire rangers. Here’s how it is.
This week, THE PRESIDENT’S VAMPIRE will go on sale everywhere THURSDAY, APRIL 28. For the day of APRIL 28, if you buy the book and send proof of purchase — an email copy of your receipt, a pic of you with the book,
a DNA swab, a scan of your paper receipt — to
It looks like this:
- This offer is only good for APRIL 28, 2011. That starts at 12:00 AM on Thursday and ends at midnight (UPDATE: That’s Pacific Daylight Time). Get me your pic or email within that time frame, or you don’t get a T-shirt.
- I will pay standard U.S. Postal Service shipping to deliver the shirts. If you are out of clean clothes and need a good shirt for your cousin’s wedding, let me know and we’ll discuss getting it to you sooner.
- This offer is not good for my first book, BLOOD OATH, even if you purchase it within the time period. Sorry.
- If you’re ordering on Amazon or BN.com or any of the online stores, email me a copy of your receipt. That will count.
- Anyone who pre-ordered the book — don’t worry, you’re not left out. Send me a copy of your receipt on April 28 within the 24-hour period.
- Anyone who’s buying the book for your Kindle, Nook or other mobile device, you’re eligible as well. Send me a copy of your receipt on April 28 within the 24-hour period.
- Supplies are limited; first come, first served, as decided by the time the email hits my inbox. (Don’t worry. I’ve got a lot of them. If I run out, I’ll happily dance over to the T-shirt shop and make more. But don’t dawdle. Twenty-four hours is the limit.)
- One T-shirt per book.
- Attempts to game the system or cheat mean no T-shirt for you. I also reserve the right to revise the rules to keep things fair and honest, or to include anything obvious I might have forgotten.
There will be a Twitter-based contest on Thursday with even more fabulous prizes, so keep an eye on @chrisfarnsworth. And, as always, stay bloodthirsty.
We’re just six days from the release date of THE PRESIDENT’S VAMPIRE (available everywhere from G.P. Putnam’s Sons on April 28). That means this blog will set the phasers on shill for the next few weeks. Seriously, it’s going to be like a used-car dealership around here. You’ve been warned.
And now, more news in shameless self-promotion:
- Vampire Book Club gives the book five out of five stars: “Not your standard vampire fare… If you appreciate a good mystery, a brilliant take on the vampire and stellar writing, The President’s Vampire is a must.”
- Jenn’s Bookshelf features Cade on Frightful Friday: “An immortal version of James Bond. He’s got style, he’s got intrigue…he’s got fangs. … In my opinion this book exceeds the previous! …Highly highly recommended.”
- More Cade love at Bite This: A Vampire Books Blog.
- New Books features THE PRESIDENT’S VAMPIRE and the author of the blog, Marshal Zeringue has generously agreed to let me write about what I’m reading at his other blog, Writers Read. I’ll link when that appears.
- Somehow I missed it, but Tor.com listed Cade as one of the “elusive male protagonists” of urban fantasy, alongside Harry Dresden and other notables.
- My lovely and amazing author-sibling Beatriz Chantrill Williams was kind enough to do an interview with me on her blog.
- The good and vicious people behind Pajiba.com were foolish enough to let me rant about Kids Inc., neuroscience and Charlie Sheen. You can see the results here.
- Just like the Monkees, I may be coming to your town. You can check out my tour dates at Booktour.com, download this handy calendar, or just look at the page that’s been set up here on the site.